Thursday, May 31, 2012

Not a Sparrow Falls

Today I said farewell to a very dear friend. He was seventeen, old for a cat. And he'd been my kitty since I was about eight years old.


Shasta Blackberry Lodge died in Mom's arms tonight and we buried him under my bedroom window. Shasty and his sister, Aravis, came to us when my sister and I were little. We wanted a kitten, although our family already had a few cats at that point, and were working to accomplish a piano-practicing goal in order to earn one. It was during this summer that two little kittens, a boy and a girl, were abandoned on our street. Never a family to turn away a cat, we welcomed them into our home, piano achievements were forgotten, and Shasta and Aravis became quick members of the family. I gravitated toward Shasta, while my sister took to Aravis. Certainly all the cats we had were special to all of us and none truly belonged more to one family member than to another, but Shasta took an extra special place in my heart.

Like all of our pets, Shasta had a plethora of nicknames. Once, we made a fire at the bottom of the backyard hill and Shasta came to hang out with us. We'd been roasting marshmallows and Shas, in his affectionate way, nuzzled his head against a roasting poker, still sticky with marshmallow. This earned him the name "Marshmallow-Head" and I could swear the faint blur of white hairs on the top of his otherwise black head was never there until the marshmallow incident.

"He was everything you could want in a cat," Daddy said tonight as he scooped dirt over Shasta's grave. And he certainly was.

I remember one evening, only a few years ago, when I found Shasta sleeping on the floor in the living room and, having nothing important to do, curled myself around him and just snuggled him there on the floor. He stirred and started to purr, and I just lay there, petting him and watching his satisfied claws knead at the air. I wasn't watching TV. I wasn't chatting with anyone. I wasn't doing anything at all except making my little kitty happy. I realized, "This is love: to do something sweet for someone you care about and not expect anything in return except to witness their pleasure." I learned true love from my cat.

When I got the call from Mom tonight that Shasta wasn't going to make it much longer, I cried. And Husband, being the sensitive man that he is, gave me a big hug and told me that Shasta would be very happy soon, no longer in pain, and maybe even dancing. OK, so there's maybe nothing Biblical to suggest that our pets will join us in Heaven, but I don't think there's anything to assure us that they won't. I prefer to think, at least for tonight, that when I'm called home, Shasta will be waiting for me. That he'll come trotting over, nuzzle my legs, and let me snuggle his furry little face to mine.

Farewell, my dear sweet Shasta.
I do hope we will meet again.
I love you.

1 comment: