Monday, September 24, 2012

Gold Star

This was a gold-star weekend. At every turn, it seemed, I was doing something else that I loved just as much as the last thing I was doing.

1. Me, Daddy, and Celeste.
Dad and I took a 14-mile bike ride through some of our favorite roads. It was somewhat backwards from our usual route, but it was good. We planned in a few good hills, took a scenic stretch down the Schuylkill River Trail, and stopped at Bike Line to get our bikes inspected for the MS-150 City to Shore this weekend.


Celeste and me are ready. 75 miles. Bring it on.

2. Treasure Hunting
After the ride, we returned to 1550 where Mom was still working on setting up my new laptop. I wanted to find something in my old bedroom (I forget what now) and ended up pulling a filing box of my childhood school stuff out of the closet. Just about the time I started leafing through it, Sister came in the door! She was visiting for the day for dinner at MomMom's that night. It was a little family powwow there in the living room. I love my new home, I love living with Husband, but there is something so sweet about a little taste of the past and hanging out with the fam at 1550.

Check out this fitting 2nd grade journal entry I found from 1994.
3. Organizing
I came home, showered and changed out of my biking spandex, and then went over to school for about an hour to organize a big shipment of teacher supplies that came in on Friday. When this shipment of things comes, it's my task in the office to organize it according to what each teacher ordered. So I have to crosscheck the packing slip with my ordering document and divy out all the items to the right people.


I didn't get it nearly done and spent most of today working on it. When I finally finished and all the teachers picked up their markers and erasers and construction paper and gradebooks, I felt a bit deflated. I need a weekend job in a warehouse. Sorting shipments is just way too much fun.

4. Dinner with Grand-Ones
Mom and Dad both had birthdays this week, so MomMom and PopPop had us all for dinner Saturday night to celebrate. Grammy also came. We dined like royalty on MomMom's chicken casserole, broccoli and corn casserole, mashed potatoes, and chocolate chip cake. When we were arriving, a fine misty rain was falling. A brilliant rainbow spread its arms across Narvon.


5. What you rejoice in, you resemble.
Our new pastor, Jere Scott, preached for the first time this week. He used a text in Ezekiel about the idolatry of the Israelite elders to encourage us to search our own hearts for their source of joy. His reminder of what happens to our hearts when they honor anything above God led to the good news of Christ who is the only One who can give us a new heart altogether, a heart that will be inclined toward Him.

4. Baby Time
I love the nursery. I spent second service there this week and snuggled some of my favorite little boys. It's probably the most selfish service opportunity. I mean, what's hard about spending an hour hanging out with your friends' perfect little babies?


5. Cleaning
In preparation for the Bible Study starting here this Wednesday, I dove in headfirst and cleaned. OK, only the downstairs. But it felt awesome. I also did a little Autumnal decorating.

Yes, I know I need a heap of cinnamon scones in that cake stand. I'll work on it.
After all that, I felt so high on life that I was up by 5:15 this morning, the time I should be up every morning. With a weekend like that still throbbing in my veins, I feel so abundantly blessed that the week just gleams before me like a yellow brick road.

No comments:

Post a Comment