Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Necessity

Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Example 1:
In our shower, we have two suction-cup hooks on which we hang our loofas. I use the fluffy mesh kind. Peter prefers the sea sponge variety. When I bought Peter a new loofa this weekend, it did not have a loop of cord to serve as a hanging mechanism. Determined to hang that loofa on its hook, I got some twine from our closet and a big yarn needle. With the twine threaded through the needle, I pierced the loofa, pulled the twine through, and knotted it. Voila: a hanging loop.

Example 2:
We're preparing to go on vacation, so I am emptying my fridge of perishable such as milk. I had used a whole entire quart of milk in Monday's macaroni and cheese which I took to the Dowdy Picnic. This morning, my coffee needed a lightening agent, so I squirted in some whipped cream. Mmmm.

OK, not all that inventive, but small triumphs.
Little bursts, if you will. (an Olive Kitteridge reference)

No comments:

Post a Comment