Friday, June 17, 2011

Little Things

Funny how life's small joys can make a big difference. Normally, when I arrive at work each morning, I spend a little time looking online for a new job. It's not that I hate my job - although I often say I do. It's more the dark shadow it casts over my life, a blurry grey haze. My job search is an attempt to set up shop under a new sky, in hopes that it might be less gloomy. Sometimes, though, a spear of sunshine will pierce through the gloom and brighten the undersides of even the darkest clouds, reflecting a warm glow on life for a while.

Last night I experienced such a sun spear when I went to a local coffee shop for Open Mic Night with two delightful friends. We'd never been before, and when we walked in, a tubby sort of young man in a blue t-shirt was singing an a capella version of Over My Head by The Fray. He couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, and his notes were splashing rather messily all over the shop. We paid the $3 cover charge and sat down warily, hoping the next act would be better. Aside from a few girls reading poetry much too fast, every act of the night was wonderful. I ordered a toasted marshmallow hot chocolate, and we sat in a little corner table, people-watching and enjoying the music, floating on a constant stream of girl talk.

This morning, although my arrival at the office was entirely ordinary, and my usual annoyances and boredoms instantly applied as they always do, I felt a warm glow brightening my cloudy skies. I do not feel the urge to search career websites for a new position. I don't feel my usual irritation at the failures of my coworkers, the ugly paint in my office, or the myriad "other duties as assigned" that are constantly added to my job description. Instead, I feel content about whatever this day will bring. I feel cheered by a hot chocolate and a few pretty songs. A little indulgence on a Thursday night can make all the difference on a Friday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment