Sunday, April 15, 2012

100

100 years since she sank.


I'm a sucker for Leo's Titanic of 1997 and I tend to forget that the ship was real, that she went down on a cold April night 100 years ago, and that people really drowned there in the water. I respect the truth of history, though, and appreciate the tragedy for its historic significance. I enjoyed the chance, on a cruise in 2009, to see some Titanic artifacts in a museum in Canada.

 A deck chair recovered from Titanic

 Sitting in a replica of a Titanic deck chair.

Third Class menu, a few days before she went down.

The grave marker for a J Dawson, who has become assumed to be the famous heartthrob Jack Dawson.

In 2008, when I was in Liverpool, where Titanic was built, I saw some other artifacts.

A life vest and the name-plate from one of the too-few life boats.

I've seen Titanic memorabilia on both sides of the ocean she couldn't quite cross. I respect her failure and the tragedy that her loss meant for so many people. I don't take Titanic's sinking lightly.

Nevertheless, I plan to see the re-released Titanic in 3D this weekend and I am so excited my heart is racing already. I never saw it in the theatre when it came out. I actually thought it would be dumb. "The ship sinks," I remember saying. "I know the ending so why would I want to watch it?" But in high school, probably 2004 or so, when I eventually saw it, I was hooked. The majesty of the ship, the hues of human nature the story illuminates, the sweeping soundtrack, and of course the love story. I'm extremely excited to see it on the big screen. I'll honor Titanic's 100th anniversary the only way I know how: by crying with Jack and Rose and imagining that, for a moment, I'm flying.


Love can touch us one time, and last for a lifetime and never let go 'til we're gone.

http://www.titanicmovie.com/YourTitanicPhoto/
Make it count.

No comments:

Post a Comment